European Vacation 2005

Jenn and Greg traveling in Europe, May of 2005.

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Last Day in Sevilla

Whoa, been walking in Sevilla today nearly non stop for the past 6-7 hours. Tired! So, we decided to drop by the air conditioned internet cafe for a little typing. But, I forgot the cable for the camera again! Grrr!

Great city, Sevilla, at least the old parts. We did the Alcazar and the Catedral. The Alcazar is very impressive. Much of it is a homage to the Alhambra in Granada. So, there are strong Moorish influences. Lots of little fountains, ornately decorated ceilings, and tileworks. Outside there is a huuuugge garden. We were there for over 3 hours and didn´t see everything. Took many many many pictures. Looking good. However, I´ve notice a strange thing with my camera. For some reason, some of the pictures with flash are turning out blurry. Not sure why, perhaps I´m moving as I take the picture. But, if a shot looks blurry on the LCD, I take another and it looks fine. Hmmm. Also, I´ve calculated at my present picture taking rate, I will run out of memory some time around Paris. Oops, need to get another 1GB card.

The Catedral De Sevilla is very nice, very large, and has a bell tower with view of the entire city. Picture allowed in side, but no flash. So, to keep the camera still without a tripod I was leaning the camera against walls, chairs, whatever I could find. They look OK on the LCD, but we´ll see when they are blown up.

The catedrals of Spain are similar to the Cathedrals throughout the rest of Europe except for one interesting feature. The choir and pipe organ are located in the center of the interior rather than on one end. This is suppose to produce much better acoustics. The pipes of the organ are huge and ornately decorated and run up the walls on both sides of the choir area. We didn´t get to hear the one in Sevilla today, but did hear the one in Avila and I have to tell you it was very impressive!

We catch the night train to Barcelona tonight. I´ve never been able to sleep much on trains before, so this will make tomorrow kind of tough. But, rather then spend an entire day traveling, we get an extra day in Barcelona (or Sevilla, depending on how you look at it). Can not wait to get there! From the pictures I´ve seen, the architecture of Barcelona is some of the best in the world. Really great stuff. Jenn and I are already talking about getting a day pass on the open top buses. Many many more pictures! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home